Data Streaming Site Reliability Engineer - #982679
Our people work differently depending on their jobs and needs. From hybrid working to flexible hours, we have plenty of options that help our people to thrive.
This role is based in the United Kingdom and as such all normal working days must be carried out in the United Kingdom.
Join us as a Data Streaming Site Reliability Engineer
- In this key role, you’ll improve, drive, and embed non-functional and operational characteristics such as availability, performance, efficiency, change management, monitoring, security, incident response, and capacity planning of our products and services
- You’ll enjoy significant stakeholder interaction, working in collaboration with engineers to ensure a principled approach to deliver change in a safe and secure way
- This is a chance to join an inclusive team with a collaborative ethos and a commitment to innovation and professional development
What you'll do
As our Data Streaming Site Reliability Engineer, you’ll work closely with our feature team and other colleagues to meet defined service level objectives and continually improve systems and environments. You’ll define error budgets that support finding the right balance between risk and reliability.
You’ll also provide structure and help to our release process, suggesting and making improvements where possible. You’ll scale systems sustainably through mechanisms like automation, evolving them by pushing for changes that improve reliability and velocity. We’ll also look to you to coach and provide guidance to colleagues and the wider team, leading where required.
In addition to this, you’ll:
- Proactively contribute new ideas and innovations to meet short term and longer-term goals
- Continually balance and manage any potential risks
- Be accountable for the day-to-day health of both production and non-production environments and respond to any incidents as required
- Provide technical expertise and input to establish the risk tolerance of products and services
- Communicate incident status updates clearly and frequently to other teams, customers and stakeholders
The skills you'll need
We’re looking for someone with strong knowledge of reliability systems thinking and a strong software engineering background. You’ll need experience of using a data driven and scientific approach to fact finding. We’ll also look for financial services knowledge, and the ability to identify wider business impact, risk and opportunity, and make connections across key outputs and processes. You'll also have solid experience with public cloud platforms, preferably using AWS.
We’re also looking for:
- Strong software engineering background with no preferred language
- Data Streaming platforms experience within Kafka ecosystem
- Strong knowledge of deploy and release services, automation, and troubleshooting
- Experience of utilising tools and technology across the software development lifecycle
- Experience using mathematical and statistical models to assess trends
- Strong communication skills with the ability to proactively engage with a wide range of stakeholders